On the burnt-grass field above the
Flathead,
a woman runs, arms dipping through
the air like oars.
The man she seeks can see her coming--
beside a stack of reeds, he
can hear her howl
but does not yet know the expression
on her face.
From this distance, an untearable cloth
of sweet grass and dust,
a laugh and a wail are equally plausible.
In this moment, he braces himself,
his brain scans the possibilities:
she is running, there is that sound from her.
Where is the child? There is no smoke from the house,
no rider tearing down the horizon.
He stands, breathing in chunks of air,
his back straight and taut,
one hand clutching the thinnest of reeds.
4 comments:
Megan,
Your imagery is striking and the way you build up the pulsating tension is remarkable.
I love the sheer beauty of this line:
"no rider tearing down the horizon"
Thank you for visiting my blog and letting me know about your site.
/Jenny
Thank you, Jenny. I am honored that you have visited my little space.
I just love your work!
Beautiful, Megan.
Thank you all
Post a Comment