Monday, May 18, 2009

Happening Now

In the yard a squirrel, stormcloud haunches flared,
scours for  rainbow sprinkles scattered by the
dimpled hand of the boy, now sleeping
in the room with the window that faces the yard.
The squirrel has an itch, or a need to be met, winds up
its hind paw like a pinwheel and scratches its fatted back.
There are enough many-colored flecks
 in the grass to allow for a moment's relief.
16 feet above, the boy, head turned to the window,
curls his toe around a rung on his crib (he is still in a crib
even though he is agile enough to climb out of it.
There is time still. The comfort of the cage has yet to subside.)
A thin track of saliva burns its way down his chin.
It will have dried by the time the shades are lifted.




2 comments:

Megan Duffy said...

Thank you! I am trying to write something each day. This is totally raw material, sketches really, but that's OK. I feel better when I write.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes those 'raw sketches' shine without polish, as this does.
I was told once how important it is for the writer, to close their words (with words) that remain in the reader's mind (long after they have read them). I have been reading (and enjoying, muchly) your babies and see you doing such. Know that.